Supplier Quality Engineer
Auburn Hills, MI
The Supplier Quality Engineer will be the technical liaison between purchasing, product engineering, internal manufacturing, and our supply base. In this role, the Supplier Quality Engineer will work with suppliers to resolve supplier manufacturing issues, implement and monitor advanced quality planning systems, and provide technical support throughout the life cycle of the product.
Additionally, the SAQ will discover gaps in a process with suppliers and implement root cause and corrective actions. More principal tasks will be to maintain accurate records, conduct capability assessments that validate and verify supplier qualifications, travel to assigned suppliers as required, and lead multiple projects to completion. In addition, the SQA will measure readiness throughout the product development cycle.
Supplier Quality Engineer Tasks:
• Report supplier performance and quality to management, and provide quality solutions
• Oversee projects start to finish, be hands on and proactive in finding quality issues
• Excellent problem solving skills, including experience preparing problem solving documents such as 8D's
• Assist in the development and implementation of supplier programs
• Recommend and Implement cost-effective corrective actions
• Maintain successful relationships with supplier, engineering, manufacturing, and other
• Supporting and coordinating the PPAP process
• Preparing management reports based on customer expectations (main quality KPIs)
• Preparing the work instruction and its related documents and approving the work instructions
• Clarification of the technical details and customer requirements of a new mission/project
• Project management skills and High Level Organization skills required
• Strong Knowledge of Automotive core tools is a must
• Fulfilling other demands coming from the customer
• Six Sigma Methodology a bonus
• Travel may be required (minimum 50%)
• Excellent Communication and Interpersonal skills; both written and verbal
• Drive quarterly goals to meet objectives. Create and maintain Performance KPI’s.
• Ensure Supplier process controls meet reliability and capability levels
• Manage Supplier PPAP process, including yearly re-certification and record retention
• Manage all Supplier related containment activities, through Supplier Quality Engineers
• Ensure adherence to Policies and Procedures (Job Element Sheets, TS requirements, etc.)
• Effective, timely communication with Suppliers on issues regarding their product quality
• Hold accountable Supplier Quality Engineers to lead effective, timely closure of Supplier DMN's through to disposition and financial recovery
• Manage Supplier performance records in Supply Web
• Meet all Commitments – confront and escalate issues in a timely manner
• Coordinate with divisional Quality Managers in solidifying Supplier Quality Engineers activities related to Quality of purchased components
• Onsite monitoring and reviewing quality performance to the standards and insuring compliance to the standards.
• Assuring supplier understanding and compliance with APQP processes and product PPAP submission, part approval requirements and manufacturing capacity validation (Run at Rate).
• Review and approval of supplier manufacturing processes, tooling and quality plans for fuel injector components (Electromechanical assemblies).
• Reviewing supplier quality systems. Implementing and monitoring supplier part qualification and certification processes.
• Determining root cause of supplier manufacturing problems and implementing timely, effective, and efficient quality resolutions.
• Improving quality performance of suppliers by conducting onsite workshops at supplier facilities, providing technical assistance in developing robust manufacturing and quality systems, or other technical support as required.
• Providing technical assistance during supplier launch, change-over and on -going production activities.
- 5+ years manufacturing experience
- Minimum 3 years Quality experience (Automotive)
- Proficient with demonstrated knowledge in print reading, GD&T interpretation, part measurement, gage design and function.
- Demonstrated knowledge of manufacturing and assembly plant processes, procedures, tooling, equipment and facilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of probability, statistical quality control and design of experiments.
- Demonstrated ability to investigate quality problems and to apply sound technical judgment to develop potential solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and lead diverse cross functional teams simultaneously.
- Interpersonal skills to work independently and effectively with others.
- Strong oral, written and presentation skills.
- Manufacturing Quality Systems.
- Dealing with Global Value Streams.
- Quality Systems Planning (APQP), including PPAP.
- Clean Room Methodology.
- Stamping, Fine Blanking, Precision Machining.
- Lean Manufacturing.
Vice President of Sales
Rick is a technical sales and operations management professional within the automotive, defense and manufacturing industries. A career of supporting original equipment manufacturers, the tier supplier base and major defense contractors has presented opportunities within scope of work fulfillment and technical staffing (engineering, design, information technology). The ability to facilitate client projects and assist those with career choices has been an exciting and rewarding journey. His recent concentration in vehicle connectivity (electrification, autonomy, v2v, V2i) and the transformation of manufacturing technology (Industry 4.0) continue to fuel Rick’s interest. Rick excels at relationship building, account management, and employee retention initiatives within the engineering, design and security communities. Rick’s business education continually pushes him to process, processes management and success.